o be an independent catalyst for monitoring development commitments, delivery and impact on the grassroots; and to bring strong additional…
An African continent rapidly achieving its development potential, whose people live in dignity, in a just society where basic needs are met, human…
African Monitor (AM) was established in 2006 as an independent Pan African continental body to monitor development support commitments, delivery as well as the impact on grassroots communities. African Monitor also works towards bringing strong additional African voices to the development agenda, by making sure that citizens have the capacity, platforms and opportunity to participate in decision making processes. Our vision is of an African continent rapidly achieving its development potential, whose people live in dignity, in a just society where basic needs are met, human rights are upheld, and good governance entrenched. AM has support from various African and International organisations, as well as its structures which include the Board of Trustees, the AM Secretariat, and implementing partners.
GET INVOLVED WITH
VACANCY: AWG COORDINATOR
Closing Date: Friday, 14 September 2018.
The Africa CSO Working Group (AWG) is an open inclusive pan-African platform (working space) seeking to promote sustainable development in Africa. AWG believes in the pan-African vision as expressed in Agenda 2063 of “an integrated, prosperous and peaceful Africa driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the international arena”. We believe in Africa’s transformative capacity to achieve accelerated development and a prosperous future for all Africans; and we believe that solutions to Africa’s development challenges will emerge from Africa, owned and driven by Africans.
Brief Role Description:
This role is a strategic leadership position, where the incumbent will have the primary responsibility to lead and facilitate key activities of the platform. He/she will turn the vision of the platform into an actionable plan, coordinate with members and partners to implement key activities including SDG monitoring, advocacy, mobilisation, and capacity building for African civil society. The AWG coordinator will have high-level political engagement responsibility, liaising primarily with all key structures of the African Union and UN system to promote the work and positions of AWG. The coordinator will further build and sustain relationships with other civil society networks in the region and at the global level, including AWG funders. Working with a small team, the Coordinator will ensure that AWG’s communication function operates effectively and efficiently, disseminating information to members in a timely manner while promoting the AWG brand.
The AWG Coordinator with be under the direct supervision of African Monitor’s Executive Director. He/she will report to the AWG Co-Chairs and Core Facilitating Group (CFG).
- A post-graduate degree in Social Sciences, Economics, Law, International Relations and/ or related fields;
- 5 + years’ experience running/managing international projects and/or programmes;
- Have established leadership skills and the ability to exercise a high degree of initiative, creativity, problem solving.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills, including ability to communicate at different levels and with diverse stakeholders
- Good negotiation and conflict management skills, with demonstrable experience of navigating successfully between differing demands and stakeholders.
- Unquestionable professional work ethic and integrity.
- Extensive knowledge of issues related to Africa’s development, including Agenda 2063, Agenda 2030, and the development finance architecture.
- Extensive knowledge of SDG monitoring and review processes.
- Have an understanding of results-based management with project / programme management and financial management skills.
- Excellent presentation and writing skills;
- Fluent in English. Working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.